Sunday, May 23, 2010

remembering Milwaukee and Michael...


The blowing of the Autumn chill wind at the O'Hare Chicago airport welcomed me to the United States of America. What ahead was just unthinkable. Frightened? Yes. But the feel of excitement overcomes the fear feeling of being alone on a foreign land for the first time. And it is USA.

Soon find myself again on a plane to Milwaukee, a big city in the state of Wisconsin. It landed at 2 in the morning. And I found myself very much alone. Other passengers were all heading to their respective destinations. And they are all Americans. And for the first time I felt really frightened. At 3 in the morning at Milwaukee airport! Whom I am going to turn to?

Then I hear a voice give me a greeting. Hi there! Where are you going? In the dark comes a smile from a young man who seem to be there to help me. `Want a cab?' I don't really remember how I response to him. But soon after that found myself being driven to a hotel in Milwaukee. The name of the hotel was Ramada Inn, the very first hotel I have ever slept at USA. And it was my first night too! And he promised me to come early the next morning to bring me to University of Wisconsin at Whitewater where I am supposed to register myself as a student.

Strange! All this time I have a high regard for the Americans. But my first experience with this young man proves otherwise. While driving me to Whitewater, the next morning, he told myself I am real lucky to come from far away place to USA. Not him.

He works for his mother driving the cab. His mother owns the permit to the cab. I did ask him how much did his mother pays him. He did not respond but said he is happy with what he is doing.

I don't remember how much I paid him. But the whole day he drives me around helping me in the registration from classes to dining hall and dorm. He drove back to Milwaukee very much late in the evening. Thank you Mike. I can never forget you.

No comments: