Sunday, May 17, 2009

Identity crisis...

I have been a lecturer for quite a long time. In all those years, what seem to bother me more and more is the identity crisis the students are facing. Confusion seem to be the right word that have been facing the students. They don't know what they want. They are just confused with a lot of things ranging from balik kampong, overslept, pptn, handphone, assignment, and friends. They seem not to have a mission in life. Do they take the opportunity to have an intelligent discussion with the lecturers? For the past few semesters, I have not seen even one student doing that. Not with me. Despite being a mediocre in learning but still unashamedly begging for a better grade. As a student they should display the skill in thinking and being argumentative in all sorts of topics. At the end of the semester what do I get? A memory of students who just want a passing grade. Do they deserve it? I have only a few more months with this profession. Only half of my time here give me a good and positive memory pertaining to student's development and teaching. What about the other half? I just don't want to remember it!

1 comment:

HambaMaya said...

Maybe it's because the orientation of our learning system.. since it is just too result oriented that students don't even bother to do extra works pertaining to their academic progress.. yes, it is shameful when Uni students don't have enough general knowledge, but its not merely them to blame..