Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rolling stone gathers no moss...


I did say to the students today that the weak can be so strong in some places, and so are the strong ones, can be real weak in some situations and places. But I did tell them of the purpose of the course they are pursuing. It is none other than to make them as versatile as they can be when facing different person in a changed circumstances and situations. Such an ambitious dream. Right? Yes and no. I did point out to them the role I play when I am lecturing to them. But is it truly me when I am lecturing to them? It is years of accumulated experience and depth preparation that make the lecturing and role played possible. Despite that, catch me at the wrong time and I might be on the wrong foot. So the moral of the story is never fear failure in the first instance it is just a first try out. What is of paramount is the learning spirit and moving towards perfection.

There is a saying which says the stone would stop rolling when it gathers enough moss. Or rolling stone gathers no moss. Well, what is the lesson we can get from that saying? There are two school of thoughts, one it is bad and the other is good. I subscribe to the second that sees rolling as positive. If you are always on the move it gives little chance of making your life boring. In fact life can be so active and full of thrill. It is an adventure. Till you can call it for the day, keep running and keep rolling...and see when and where it would stop. If it has to stop then stop. But if the energy is still there and you stop running for no valid reason, the stone then starts to gather moss. At this point, do you want to see your life stagnate?

No comments: